Is being Politically correct being blind? (READ FIRST)

'Nāpalm

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well I'm saying blind because being politically correct generally means saying things which are positive towards previously or currently unpopular ideals, ideas, morals and also cultural minorities. Well why I ask this is being politically correct mean to lie and to be sugar coating and hiding the truth. People for example that insist being politically correct denounce the truth sometimes and cover things up that are true and are usually just promoting falsities. Now I'm not saying equality, tolerance, and acceptance are wrong but we are have a right to speak out our opinions whether it is politically correct or not especially if it is the truth. Now I don't mean to offend anyone but here are some examples of false political correctness.

(I know this is old news but this is a good example, in no way am intending to be racist or prejudice. Also I have no official stance on this topic)"George Zimmerman killing Trayvon Martin." People where saying that George Zimmerman was a Caucasian male for the longest time which was undeniably untrue. George Zimmerman was a Mestizo Hispanic of Peruvian and Jewish decent which is definitively not white. Now I can see some people in the media where trying to twist up the facts to shape the facts to fit their own agenda and to start up racial tensions between blacks and white and to give media hounds like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson a chance to be shooting crap out their mouths. Now this was what I believe an attempt to make whites take the guilt for it rather than a Hispanic because people would believe it was racist if they put the blame on a Hispanic. Regardless in the end the media pinned the crime on George Zimmerman a supposed white male who was charged with a racial hate crime. First off it was not proven at the time George Zimmerman shot Trayvon in cold blood and people and the media insisted on taking Tryavon Martin's side due to what I believe is because he was a young african american male that was murdered. Regardless not many looked at the fact that the attacker could have been Trayvon Martin and that he was the attacked Zimmerman. Also many news stations where showing pictures of him when he was 14 making him appear like a innocent young kid or something when indeed he was almost a sturdy 18 year old.

Example 2: When some American tourists where murdered in Egypt many news stations and media outlets turned their heads, many never heard about it. Now I'm not saying its right but when a group of Marines accidentally shot a bystander during a battle by accident the media went all over it saying that American soldiers are savages and monsters.

Where do you draw the line in being tolerant, open minded, and non prejudice into the world of hiding the truth to fit a certain political-social agenda?

NOTE: I'AM NOT RACIST NOR PREJUDICE TO ANY GROUPS OF PEOPLE, NOR DO I ASSOCIATE MY SELF WITH A CERTAIN POLITICAL SIDE. I'M SOLELY ASKING IF THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT?

lesley

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
not always, you could be politically correct and still be correct, but in most cases, politics ends up covering some truth

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Veteran
Kin
10💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The goal of being "PC" is to avoid offending people within any identifiable group regardless of size. Like calling American Indians "Native American".

The references you provide in both of your examples (1 & 2) are of media manipulation and not examples of political correctness. The media frequently and blatantly distorts the facts of many events worldwide with the intent of playing upon the emotions of their audience and increasing viewer ratings.

Though, I think your point is valid about one-sided and sometimes full on erroneous statements made in the news and other media. If you see media reporting only one side of a story or misrepresenting the facts, turn them off and encourage others to do so as well.

'Nāpalm

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
The goal of being "PC" is to avoid offending people within any identifiable group regardless of size. Like calling American Indians "Native American".

The references you provide in both of your examples (1 & 2) are of media manipulation and not examples of political correctness. The media frequently and blatantly distorts the facts of many events worldwide with the intent of playing upon the emotions of their audience and increasing viewer ratings.

Though, I think your point is valid about one-sided and sometimes full on erroneous statements made in the news and other media. If you see media reporting only one side of a story or misrepresenting the facts, turn them off and encourage others to do so as well.
you make a good point, that Native American thing is true as well, the term "Native American" is also somewhat distorted. As though it may not seem true. their where in fact different people in the America's before the Indians, Vikings use to voyage to the America's and spent prolonged periods of time in the Americas. Yet not a peep when such facts are brought up, and when such facts are brought up people assume your a racist and denounce your theory/facts.

Shinobi Train

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I personally cannot stand PC people...they're just annoying. That's why I want to moveto Australia...I will never have to hear one more politically correct thing ever again. xd I don't have a problem with race or religion or anything, but can we please just call things what they are? Just for example, there's "African American", "Mexican American", "Asian American". That is the real racism, saying they just can't be who they are. Forget that, a black guy is a black guy, own it, be proud of it, don't get all twinkle toes and act all worried about it, sheesh.

It's called grow some balls. :|

'Nāpalm

Banned
Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I personally cannot stand PC people...they're just annoying. That's why I want to moveto Australia...I will never have to hear one more politically correct thing ever again. xd I don't have a problem with race or religion or anything, but can we please just call things what they are? Just for example, there's "African American", "Mexican American", "Asian American". That is the real racism, saying they just can't be who they are. Forget that, a black guy is a black guy, own it, be proud of it, don't get all twinkle toes and act all worried about it, sheesh.

yes! thats the spirit

Ashflura

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️

Australia has a really sensitive history, what with the Aboriginals and the English Settlement, so there will be just as much political correctness as there is in America.

Being politically correct depends on the area you live. I call anyone in my area that's of Mediterranean decent Wogs...it's not a derogatory term in the context I use it, but a way to spread community. It sounds strange but my school is made up of a lot of cultures, most of my group has Greek's and Lebanese, and the ones that aren't are heavily influenced by the delicious food and habits we have, so we joke around and call each other a giant Wog family. It's a way to create a feeling of belonging...not to single a race out.

In a formal area though, you gotta be political correct.

Shinobi Train

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Australia has a really sensitive history, what with the Aboriginals and the English Settlement, so there will be just as much political correctness as there is in America.

Being politically correct depends on the area you live. I call anyone in my area that's of Mediterranean decent Wogs...it's not a derogatory term in the context I use it, but a way to spread community. It sounds strange but my school is made up of a lot of cultures, most of my group has Greek's and Lebanese, and the ones that aren't are heavily influenced by the delicious food and habits we have, so we joke around and call each other a giant Wog family. It's a way to create a feeling of belonging...not to single a race out.

In a formal area though, you gotta be political correct.
Astralians don't give a single f**k about what people think. There is no political correctness in Australia. You wouldn't believe the things I've heard Aussies say about certain things, your mind would probably explode if you did. A best friend over there is called some of worst terms you could ever imagine, but they aren't insults, that's how they act, it's normal, wheras over here in the states someone could get killed for saying those things.

They call people of other races things that even I wouldn't dare utter, but those still aren't insults, it's more like a compliment. Please think before you type. xd

Ashflura

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Astralians don't give a single f**k about what people think. There is no political correctness in Australia. You wouldn't believe the things I've heard Aussies say about certain things, your mind would probably explode if you did. A best friend over there is called some of worst terms you could ever imagine, but they aren't insults, that's how they act, it's normal, wheras over here in the states someone could get killed for saying those things.

They call people of other races things that even I wouldn't dare utter, but those still aren't insults, it's more like a compliment. Please think before you type. xd
Dude I live down here in the heart of Sydney, Australia. I think I know how Aussies treat each other!XD And I don't end one class lesson without a teacher telling you how Australia's history is delicate territory to tread on. Be careful with how you address others, if you haven't lived a certain way of life.

Hmmm...think before i type...

Shinobi Train

Elite
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Dude I live down here in the heart of Sydney, Australia. I think I know how Aussies treat each other!XD And I don't end one class lesson without a teacher telling you how Australia's history is delicate territory to tread on. Be careful with how you address others, if you haven't lived a certain way of life.

Hmmm...think before i type...
I have plenty of Aussie friends, most of which I've met personally, and I've heard some really incredible things come from their mouths, and I've never heard so my swearing from anyone else. Maybe you live in a part of Australia that's more namby pamby. You wouldn't believe the things I've heard from Aussies about blacks especially, but they still mean respect behind it. ;)

Ashflura

Regular
Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
I have plenty of Aussie friends, most of which I've met personally, and I've heard some really incredible things come from their mouths, and I've never heard so my swearing from anyone else. Maybe you live in a part of Australia that's more namby pamby. You wouldn't believe the things I've heard from Aussies about blacks especially, but they still mean respect behind it. ;)
Oh no I'm not denying we don't swear a lot haha. But I'm also saying as much as swearing is casual, there are also others that are easily offended. Personally, I won't get further then the casual 'shit', 'crap' 'screw you' 'bloody' 'motherfluffer'. Hearing the younger generation in Sydney say nothing more than 'eff this or eff that' gets on my nerves so I avoid it.

Kin
0💸
Kumi
0💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Well I'm saying blind because being politically correct generally means saying things which are positive towards previously or currently unpopular ideals, ideas, morals and also cultural minorities. Well why I ask this is being politically correct mean to lie and to be sugar coating and hiding the truth. People for example that insist being politically correct denounce the truth sometimes and cover things up that are true and are usually just promoting falsities. Now I'm not saying equality, tolerance, and acceptance are wrong but we are have a right to speak out our opinions whether it is politically correct or not especially if it is the truth. Now I don't mean to offend anyone but here are some examples of false political correctness.
I would tend to agree with you - the term PC is in general used by people, in my life, who don't wish to be a decent person. It's most comonly used in my presance to maginalize me and what I say or think changing the topic from what ever it might be racism/nationalism/gender identity and turns it on to me - framing me as anti-normal.

EXAMPLE:
Me - "Black Face is a form of racism and should be recognized for the way it marginalizes blackness and people of color in general by the way it trivializes them as people and by that, their history."

White CoWorker - "I hate political correctness! There is nothing wrong with dressing up as a black person. What? Are you trying to save the world?"

[all of these thing have actually ben said to me at work]

I've also heard people tell me right after I meet them that they don't believe in being PC. To which I always want to ask them what they mean. In other words, as an adult I understand that some people have a system of beliefs or thinking which they feel they can talk about at any moment and in turn every one around them is not allowed to feel offended. Doesn't mean they have to share those potential views & beliefs though, does it. This phrase "I don't believe in being PC" also means that they have already decided what is and isn't PC without asking if I have he same "PC" list in my head, so if I try to even stand up for some thing that I believe in they enforce a system of rules that could be called PC by their standards - thus marginalizing my argument with a non-agument.

In essence - if you are for social justice or against racism the term PC can be like a trap used against you.

(I know this is old news but this is a good example, in no way am intending to be racist or prejudice. Also I have no official stance on this topic)"George Zimmerman killing Trayvon Martin." People where saying that George Zimmerman was a Caucasian male for the longest time which was undeniably untrue. George Zimmerman was a Mestizo Hispanic of Peruvian and Jewish decent which is definitively not white. Now I can see some people in the media where trying to twist up the facts to shape the facts to fit their own agenda and to start up racial tensions between blacks and white and to give media hounds like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson a chance to be shooting crap out their mouths. Now this was what I believe an attempt to make whites take the guilt for it rather than a Hispanic because people would believe it was racist if they put the blame on a Hispanic. Regardless in the end the media pinned the crime on George Zimmerman a supposed white male who was charged with a racial hate crime. First off it was not proven at the time George Zimmerman shot Trayvon in cold blood and people and the media insisted on taking Tryavon Martin's side due to what I believe is because he was a young african american male that was murdered. Regardless not many looked at the fact that the attacker could have been Trayvon Martin and that he was the attacked Zimmerman. Also many news stations where showing pictures of him when he was 14 making him appear like a innocent young kid or something when indeed he was almost a sturdy 18 year old.
What in the name of Hella did I just read?

OK - Reality check. Was it alright for the Portuguese to kill, wipe out the culture of & enslave Native South Americans simply because they [the Portuguese] were NOT white?

I'm sure you would agree that the answer is no. Ok then - on to George Zimmerman & Trayvon Martin. First thing we need to ask ourselves was what the motive for discharge of the firearm was.

- Zimmerman was patrolling a neighbor hood while not on any kind of active police work.
- Zimmerman carried a gun.
- Zimmerman saw Trayvon.
- Zimmerman suspected Trayvon as suspicious.
- Zimmerman called in Trayvon to the Police as suspicious.
- The Police told Zimmerman to back off and not to engage.
- Zimmerman ignored this order and continued to follow Trayvon.
- Zimmerman caught up to Trayvon rolled down the window and started to hassle him.
- Zimmerman then got out of the car to physically stop Trayvon.
- There was a struggle.
- Zimmerman shot Trayvon as he was running away.

What was Trayvon Martin's Motive for getting shot?
- Walking home, as a person of color, in a predominantly white neighbor hood with his hood up, carrying a pack of skittles & a can of Arizona Tea.

That's it. There is audio on the internet - listen to it. And in the end, if you side with Zimmerman it won't be because your defending white people. It will be because you side with racism. Why racism? Because it wasn't that long ago that America was built and farmed by +12 MILLION slaves forced out of their homes & villages in Africa. If you can't understand that America as a society is still effected by this then there are a few things you need to study up on. American history for the past 200 years. American Law fore the past 200 years. Current statistical data on the treatment of whites versus people of color in America.

Example 2: When some American tourists where murdered in Egypt many news stations and media outlets turned their heads, many never heard about it. Now I'm not saying its right but when a group of Marines accidentally shot a bystander during a battle by accident the media went all over it saying that American soldiers are savages and monsters.
America is funding the Israeli genocide of Palestinians - is that on the news? No.

America gives more financial & military aid to Israel than the entire continent of Africa - is that on the news? No.

The majority of Jew are caucasian - not people of color.

You don't have an argument here.

Where do you draw the line in being tolerant, open minded, and non prejudice into the world of hiding the truth to fit a certain political-social agenda?

NOTE: I'AM NOT RACIST NOR PREJUDICE TO ANY GROUPS OF PEOPLE, NOR DO I ASSOCIATE MY SELF WITH A CERTAIN POLITICAL SIDE. I'M SOLELY ASKING IF THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE POLITICALLY CORRECT?
If people are being oppressed because of bigotry or stigmatism then that's always what takes precedence over every other complaint.

To have racism used against you you need to be apart of a group which is oppressed by another for your skin color - in other words not white people.

White people are not oppressed by black people - people of color are oppressed by caucasian people.

Do you understand?