Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Congrats on becoming a Sensei. (I'm saying that a lot nowadays!! XD)

And thanks for accepting me as your student. (That too!! XD)

Shayde waits at the designated training field for his new Sensei to arrive and teach him how to produce complex illusions, not his strong point, but an inevitable field for most Shinobi.

"Genjutsu... As soon as my eyes are fully awakened this training will be put to good use. I Wonder what my new Sensei is like? Well, they should be here soon... And I can't wait!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
"I'm no expert, but I can relay what I know..."

Genjutsu is the Ninja Art of controlling the enemy's senses and using them to alter their view on the world, themselves the environment and take advantage of their deepest fears or worst nightmares.

It works in a similar fashion to Ninjutsu, however there are a few key differences, the first is that Genjutsu don't do damage in the same way, it controls the flow of chakra in the intended targets brain. This can be worse than physical wounds as all they require is some Medical Ninjutsu and you are all better. Healing a broken mind is next to impossible.

Genjutsu has many diverse effects like tricking the targets mind into experiencing pain, forcing the target into revealing sensitive information, brainwashing the intended target, restricting the targets body movements, altering the targets sense of time, Izanagi, one of the Forbidden Techniques of the Uchiha Clan, can alter reality and prevent the user from experiencing pain, death and the like. By altering the targets perception of reality you could make them believe that they are on a grassy plain or in a forest, when in fact they are about to walk off a cliff.

Many intelligent shinobi use Genjutsu as their primary means of attack. Kurenai Yuhi uses Genjutsu to create openings in the enemy's defenses and strikes at the opportune moment. Itachi Uchiha uses his Sharingan and other methods of catching enemies in his Genjutsu and uses these in combination with Ninjutsu to either incapacitate or kill his target, but his ultimate use of Genjutsu lies in his Tsukuyomi, an almost inescapable Genjutsu where the target is subject to immense amounts of torture for 72 hours, only to realize that it has been an instant outside of the genjutsu. This usually leaves the target weakened if not unconscious.

In summary Genjutsu is the use of chakra to control the target's mind and should never be taken lightly.

"I know I probably missed a few things, but I hope it's enough..."

Shinta

Legendary
Kin
1,184💸
Kumi
9,485💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
You covered enough to satisfy this portion of the lesson xD

So just a quick run down on ways to break genjutsu, would you happen to know a few methods of releasing genjutsu?

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
You covered enough to satisfy this portion of the lesson xD

So just a quick run down on ways to break genjutsu, would you happen to know a few methods of releasing genjutsu?
I will try and give my reply here as much detail, but ultimately, I've never broken free of one in the RP, so my reason's are based on what I've seen in the anime/ manga.

• Shikamaru Nara broke his finger to escape from a medium rank Sound Genjutsu that paralyzed him, this was used by Tayuya.The pain would work on most medium rank genjutsu and most lower rank genjutsu.
  • Naruto Uzumaki tried to escape Itachi Uchiha's Genjutsu using a handsign and a surge of chakra throughout his body, only to have his comrades do it for him. Naruto couldn't do it because Itachi had him focused on the pain in the Genjutsu and not on breaking free.
  • Sasuke Uchiha broke free of Orochimaru's "palpable" killing intent by stabbing a kunai into the softest part of his thigh, with a lot of nerve endings there he broke free from the fear with pain.
  • Killer Bee broke free from Sasuke Uchiha's MS Genjutsu by having Gyuki break it for him, since the Genjutsu only affects Bee and not the Hachibi sealed within him Gyuki was free to createa surge of chakra throughout Bee's Chakra Network.
Like I said. I tried giving as much detail as possible, but without prior encounters, that's the best I can do. Is that enough? :p

Shinta

Legendary
Kin
1,184💸
Kumi
9,485💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Very good, Pain, Kai and foreign chakra are indeed the best ways to release from a genjutsu.

So for the next few illusions (D-rank) you need only bite your finger and draw blood in a similar fashion to how you'd perform the summoning jutsu. Slicing your finger on a kunai would also work.

( Magen: Kokoni Arazu no Jutsu ) - Demonic Illusion: False Surroundings Technique
Type: Supplementary
Range: Short-Mid
Chakra Cost: 10 (+5 if you use it double)
Damage Points: N/A
Description: The user casts an illusion over an area that allows him to manipulate the way an area looks to fool an opponent. He can only change the way the terrain looks, and not any other feature.

So, transmit your chakra through the air, using it to effect the part of my brain that controls what my eyes see. Change this grassy terrain into one covered in a thick garden of flowers.

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I take in every detail about the surrounding area, if I'm going to turn the flat land of the training field into a garden of flowers, I need to make sure I don't leave any details out. I focus my chakra and release a wave of it that passes through you, affecting your perception on the landscape, while it does the surrounding area changes. It goes from flat, verdant fields and a forest of trees, to a picture perfect view of the single most beautiful flower garden you have ever seen. Bursting with life and color. Violet, Yellow, Green, Blue, you can't believe your eyes... People are walking about, admiring the flowers, smelling them. A light breeze passes by, as it does you can't detect any smells from the flowers as this Genjutsu only changes the landscape, not your sense of smell. I am myself amazed that I produced such an amazing view...

You must be registered for see images

"Uuumm... Okay, I was going for something more simple, but I guess this should do... Was that okay Sensei?"

No questions. Pretty straightforward technique. I didn't watch the full filler that featured it... It was a snoozefest, disguised as a race... I didn't like the whole "Ibiki had a brother" thing either... I just got to the Sasuke Retrieval Arc, lol...

Shinta

Legendary
Kin
1,184💸
Kumi
9,485💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
OOC:ust so you now, you are unaffected by your own illusions, the area would look the same to you unlike your target. Also be more careful of your wording as the way it currently stands, it reads as though you altered the environment yourself xD
"I focus my chakra and release a wave of it that passes through you, affecting your perception on the landscape, while it does the surrounding area changes." Could be better worded as "I release my chakra towards you, were it makes contact and enters your body, affecting your perception of the landscape. As this happens, the surrounding area would appear to change in [insert terrain description here].

See the difference? Your wording can be the difference between a failed jutsu and a successful jutsu.

Excellent work. *Shinta then bites his lip, drawing blood and causing enough pain to release the genjutsu.*

So how could you use this in battle, to benefit you?

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Thanks for telling me. :) I will try and pay more attention to what I type. =D

I always thought since you are the one creating the Genjutsu you can see it too, but oh well, guess that only really applies to the heavy stuff, like Tsukuyomi.. :p

"Hmmmm, tough to say, in the heat of the moment I'm not sure if using this tactically would be good... Maybe create an environmental hazard, such as Earthen Spears and force them into them? Or make a Pool of Water and force them in, then shock them? I don't really know... I can see the advantages of this technique, but I can't really think of much to do with it in battle..."

The Hidden Rain Ninja used this in the Filler Arc to make Naruto and Idate forget their surroundings, but that wasn't in battle... I can definitely see myself using it in the rp, to confuse people, but beyond that, using it in battle seems a little bit of a chore. Sorry... :erm:

Shinta

Legendary
Kin
1,184💸
Kumi
9,485💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Mainly you'd use this jutsu to conceal a feature of the terrain you wouldn't want your opponent to see. Maybe you don't won't them to realise there is a pool of water behind them, maybe you want to have the ground appear solid when in fact it is a giant swamp?
You just need to think creatively instead of lobbing attacks. ^^

( Genjutsu: Kahen Tonsou ) - Illusion Technique: Flower Petal Escape
Chakra Cost: 10
Description: The user makes five handseals, appearing to dissolve into a shower of cherry blossom petals. These petals surround the opponent, blocking his vision. This allows the user to mask his movement effectively.

This next jutsu involves you once again, using your chakra to effect my vision, using five hand seals. You'll make your target (me) see you dissolve in a cloud of flower petals, before they swirl around me to block my vision entirely. Surely you can see how you'd use this in battle?
As well as performing it, tell me how would you deduce this is a genjutsu?

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I start by performing the required handseals, Tiger → Boar → Tiger → Horse → Ox. Once they are strung together I start to focus my chakra, releasing it like the previous Jutsu., as a wave that alters your perception, making you believe that I have disintegrated into a group of flower petals. These petals then float towards you, blocking your line of sight and allowing me to freely move throughout the field, without you aware. Once I believe I have shown enough of the jutsu, I halt my control of your perception and walk in front of you. From there I say how I believe this jutsu can be used in battle...

This jutsu, in my opinion, is better than the last, as I can actually see myself using it. It can be used to conceal movements, as already noted in my description. This is beneficial because getting close to the enemy can be tough at the best of times, being able to alter the enemies sight, and giving you the freedom to move closer without them realizing is a amazing strategical tool. I prefer Kenjutsu in fights, so using this will be beneficial to my own personal fighting style. To not arouse as much suspicion when using this jutsu, I could have it follow (Fūton: Hanachiri no Mai) - Wind Release: Flower Scattering Dance, another Jutsu that uses Flower Petals, but to attack the enemy, not trick them. Using Flower Scattering Dance and Flower Petal Escape in rapid succession would not only attack, but confuse the enemy as it would appear that the user just vanished. They would expect the user to have hidden from sight or something similar, when in fact they are already performing an attack.

As for discerning the Genjutsu, simply knowing the hand seals and the jutsu would give the user insight to the jutsu, but if the enemy turns into petals and disappears, that should be cause enough for the user to suspect the enemy has them under a Genjutsu. If that wasn't enough, since I have the Sharingan, if it was active, or if I suspected anything I would activate it and check my own Chakra flow, but that is only if I have cause to do so. Doing so without probable cause is unfair and against the rules.

I hope this summary was good enough Sensei. :p

Shinta

Legendary
Kin
1,184💸
Kumi
9,485💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
*As the genjutsu fades, I see you standing just in front of me. As my reflex's take over, I punch you in the sternum with my right, closed fist.*

Type: Attack
Range: Short
Chakra cost: N/A
Damage points: 10
Description: The user will strike their opponent with a strong punch to the chest

So these two are very similar, so I'll only need you to perform one of them, however I shall still explain them both to you.

( Genjutsu: Kasumi ) - Illusion Technique: Servant
Damage Points: 20
Description: The user does one handseal and throws a paper bomb at the enemy. The enemy, trapped in a genjutsu will see a clone of the user advancing upon him. As the paper bomb reaches the enemy, it explodes

Here you are using your chakra to manipulate your opponent's sense of sight, after performing one hand seal. You'll then throw a kunai 'with' and explosive tag attached to it, making your target see a clone running towards them instead of the kunai.
You are still visible to the opponent.

( Kasumi Jūsha no Jutsu ) - Mist Servant Technique
Chakra Cost:10
Description: This illusion creates numerous illusionary clones of the user that appear to emerge from the ground, trees, rocks, etc. If these clones are attacked, they appear to multiply. The user can co-ordinate his attacks with the clones to make it appear as if they are real.

Similar to the one above, you are still visible to the opponent and you're altering their sight to see multiple clones this time. These clones will reform if hit and will emerge from the ground, trees, rocks, walls etc and stagger towards the opponent. You then need to make it look like they are throwing the kunai when in fact it is you doing so from a concealed position.

For both, tell me how you'd deduce they are a genjutsu and perform only one as if it where a battle situation.

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Perform only one, but describe how to deduce both? Understood.

I stand in front of my Sensei, with a big smile and instantly see this as a mistake... They proceed to punch me in the center of the ribcage and send me back due to the degree and nature of the technique used.

"Hey... What's the big idea, huh? Sorry for getting a bit close, but seriously... Why punch me like that? It's not like you have anything to fear... You're obviously an accomplished Shinobi, why would I dare give you reason to hit me? If you're worried about me using anything against you, please... Don't. Besides... Why would I hurt you so early in our session? It will be duly noted not to get too close to you, but seriously..."

Seriously... That hurt... Okay... Don't get to close, and you don't get pummeled... Easy enough to remember... :sweat:

I start by focusing Chakra in my body and release it, using it to place you under an Illusion. It will alter your view on the world and create what appear to be self replicating clones, that attack using Kunai, Shuriken and various other Ninja tools. They don't physically attack you, because they lack any form to do so, that's why they appear to throw tools, I am throwing the tools in conjunction with the illusion to give the appearance of multiple (Shadow or other) clones. These clones are used to divert the target's attention away from the user and trick them into fighting the illusion, wearing themselves out, leaving them open for the user to deliver a final, fatal strike.

This illusion is somewhat easy to deduce as Genjutsu. If there are a bunch of clones in front of you, that can easily overpower you, yet they only throw Ninja Tools, it's easy to assume that the enemy is using Genjutsu. Also, the fact the clones appear to replicate when struck, at least to my knowledge, is unique, except in the case of Pain's Summoning Dog. That combined with the fact they don't physically attack should be more than enough to let one tell they are in a Genjutsu.

For the other Jutsu, it's easy to tell it's a Genjutsu. If the user is still visible to the enemy, and they perform a throwing motion, yet a Shadow Clone advances instead of a Tool, the target can safely assume they are under the enemies influence. Why would the enemy perform a random throwing motion, in the same direction of their clone? It's silly to think that they did it for laughs. :)

I hope this reply was adequate. If it wasn't please say, and I'll do it again. :p

Shinta

Legendary
Kin
1,184💸
Kumi
9,485💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Seriously... That hurt... Okay... Don't get to close, and you don't get pummeled... Easy enough to remember... :sweat:
That is how I train... now you know to beware of your opponents despite them maybe being in a genjutsu xD

Your reply ticks all the boxes, so we can move on. All I need you to do for this next one is reply to the illusion and then release yourself from the genjutsu in a manner we have already gone through.

*Shinta then perfors two hand seals to trap his student in an illusion, causing him to see a swirling mass of leaves surround him and block his vision of the surrounding area. As this is happening, Shinta's chakra probes through his students mind to locate his deepest fear before projecting an image of that before his eyes to suddenly shock him from fright. This image is revealed only after the leaves fall away.*

( Magen: Narakumi ) - Demonic Illusion: Hell Viewing
Description: The user performs two handseals causing it to appear as if a swirl of leaves surrounds the opponent. The swirl eventually falls away, and after a few seconds, the opponent sees the image of whatever they fear the most, shocking them and potentially causing them to faint.

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
I watch as my Sensei performs a few handseals, wondering what is going to happen I watch carefully as not to miss a single thing.

"Hey Sensei, what are you..."

As I begin to speak a mass of leaves surround me, cutting off my view from my Sensei and completely distracting me from the present moment. The moment the leaves settle down, I look around, puzzled as to what just happened. I look up to see a dazzling full moon.

"Wasn't it broad daylight just a second ago...?"

I look around to see if I can tell where I am. I see buildings that have a familiar style. These buildings are from Konoha. So I am in familiar surroundings? Then why was I at a training ground a moment ago. This began to puzzle me. Not a few seconds ago I was learning...

"Why can't I remember... Where am I? Who am I? What's going on...?"

I go to take a step forward, but fall flat on my face... My legs have shrunk. I've gotten smaller somehow... Wait... I know this place. It's the Uchiha Clan's District in the outskirts of the Leaf Village. But why am I so small? I pick myself up and look around. The area is littered with the dead bodies of my fellow clan members. This is my deepest fear. To be in the Village when this horrible event occurred, and be part of it's victims... I turn around and look up at a completely silhouetted man standing above me. He looks down with his cold eyes and says...

"You're next..."

I pick myself up and realize what happened, my Sensei wanted to show me my deepest fear, not to scare me or hurt me, but to do the exact opposite. To never let it be used against me in battle. I know it's a Genjutsu because my greatest fear is from a previous moment in my life, such an event can't possibly happen in this day and age. I take out a kunai and cut my finger. The pain from the cut is enough to release me from the Genjutsu.

"*Sigh* You just had to go there... Didn't you Sensei? Then again... I suppose it's better this way. I mean, if you were an enemy, you would no doubt take advantage of that event and use it against me... Thanks, I guess..."

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Yes I am still training with you. However I am about to move house, I did say this in the VM I sent you, maybe you never saw it. Please reply and if you don't hear back from me, please don't drop me, I'll just be trying to get everything in order. Hope I'll be back on NB soon to continue the training at a regular pace. :)

Shinta

Legendary
Kin
1,184💸
Kumi
9,485💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
All good, I did get your vm but I posted in all my subscriptions for my own personal house-keeping xD I'll leave the next jutsu for you to work on for when you return.

That jutsu never ceases to amuse me. Don't feel bad, I torture all my students with that one.

Shinta then creates a small pillar of earth which he then proceeds to lazily sit on, making another pillar for a back-rest.

Do you recall when I mentioned ways to break a genjutsu. In fact, I believe you yourself might have mentioned it earlier. Alongside pain, you can release yourself from a genjutsu with a simple surge of chakra... well, it might be simple from my side of the coin but anyway... For this, I'll place you in a genjutsu and I want you to perform the Ram hand seal after you identify the genjutsu. Use the hand seal to help focus your chakra, halting and building up the pressure along your chakra network, before allowing the pressure to surge through your body, flushing out my chakra.

Shinta then places his student in the same jutsu he had previously used.

This is the Kai by the way:

( Genjutsu: Kai ) - Illusion Technique: Release
Chakra Cost: 15-40
Description: The user does one hand seal to focus and then proceeds to disturb his chakra flow by forcefully stopping it momentarily and then "spiking" his spiritual energy, unbalancing his chakra. This dispels any genjutsu set upon the user except MS Eye Techniques, Paralysis-like Genjutsu and Demonic Illusion: Toad Confrontation Chant. The effectiveness of this technique is dependent upon the skill of the user. A Jounin rank ninja can dispel Genjutsu up to C-rank. An S-class ninja can dispel Genjutsu up to B-rank. A Sannin rank ninja can dispel Genjutsu up to A-rank. A Sage rank user can dispel Genjutsu up to S-Rank. The user may use this technique through physical contact on others to dispel them from Genjutsu. The technique can only be used once per turn and the user still needs to fully follow the logic as to why he figured out it was an illusion.

Last edited:

Imperfect

Elite
Kin
2,726💸
Kumi
36,426💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
Hey Sensei, I'm back, hopefully for good this time. I've been back for a bit now, but I sort of lost interest in NB for a bit. I only came on to see how everyone was... But I'm back, and better than ever. =D

I don't actually know that Jutsu yet, so I appreciate the chance to see it and work with it, it will certainly help in my Ninjutsu training.

Once more thrown into a deep fear driven illusion, confronted with the sight of his dead clan members, Shayde knew that it was a Genjutsu this time thanks to it being the same technique. But he still had to identify the Genjutsu. First of all, he was a child again. That was because of his deepest fears stemming from the slaughter of his clan. Next, he had been in a training field not a few moments ago. This time, instead of causing physical harm on himself, Shayde began gathering chakra all throughout his body, preparing to release it all in a single surge that will undo the Genjutsu. By performing the Ram Hand sign it helps Shayde gather all the chakra necessary for the jutsu. Once all the necessary chakra has been gathered Shayde releases the gathered chakra in a single shockwave, completely undoing the Genjutsu, and revealing his Sensei once more.

Like I said, I haven't learned this jutsu yet, so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with it's use. If you need me to be more detailed just say so and I will try again.