Lord of Kaos

Supreme
Kin
4,695💸
Kumi
92,153💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
If you get damage shaving as an auto bonus of increasing your damage, both things just cancel out... Wouldn't it be better to keep them separate? You need to invest points in both damage boosting and damage shaving. If by every point we spend I we get +10 damage boost and -5 damage shaving, overall we just increase the damage by +5 points, no?
No as the two don't increase on the same scale; if both increased on a 1:1 scale, your point would be stronger but since your damage output will always be higher than your ability to reduce damage, it becomes less of a potential problem as you pointed out. You're also not factoring builds that do not need to utilize the damaging output of those stats but the actual durability of them to be a build, such as bios like Ronin who gain spiritual durability and Spiritual Ken or bios like Rock Lee where they have no use for the damage output of a Spirit Attribute but can make use of the defense given.

The purpose is to make sure every stat outside of Vitality is needed and useful outside of just damage as all bios will not need to invest in some attributes for damage but for other reasons.

Lili-Chwan

Legendary
Kin
3,928💸
Kumi
2,318💴
Trait Points
0⚔️
Awards
No as the two don't increase on the same scale; if both increased on a 1:1 scale, your point would be stronger but since your damage output will always be higher than your ability to reduce damage, it becomes less of a potential problem as you pointed out. You're also not factoring builds that do not need to utilize the damaging output of those stats but the actual durability of them to be a build, such as bios like Ronin who gain spiritual durability and Spiritual Ken or bios like Rock Lee where they have no use for the damage output of a Spirit Attribute but can make use of the defense given.

The purpose is to make sure every stat outside of Vitality is needed and useful outside of just damage as all bios will not need to invest in some attributes for damage but for other reasons.
I can see the purpose, but bios like Rock Lee would not have high spiritual resistance either way...
But sure, I just think if we keep boost and shave together we end up with a net zero increase, or a much lower increased than previously stated

Lord of Kaos

Supreme
Kin
4,695💸
Kumi
92,153💴
Trait Points
25⚔️
I can see the purpose, but bios like Rock Lee would not have high spiritual resistance either way...
But sure, I just think if we keep boost and shave together we end up with a net zero increase, or a much lower increased than previously stated
Why wouldn't bios like Rock Lee have low spiritual resistance? Rock Lee himself might as a canon character but it's absolutely possible for a custom one; it can be possible to have little offensive usage of the skill while still using the stat for defensive purposes.

And I disagree; it can't be a net zero increase if the two don't increase on the same level and the damage done (not the output but damage that lands) will always vary based on someone's durability levels so even as a separate stat, durability and damage clashes will always come down to a stat by stat instance. Maxed out Spirit damage vs maxed out Durability Stat applied towards spiritual meant 50 damage is shaved. Maxed out spirit damage vs maxed out Spirit Stat means 40 damage is shaved. You have a net increase in potential gains, comparatively